As delicious as the last cupcake you ate may have been it was likely very similar to most others you’ve eaten in the past. Vanilla and chocolate are the usual standbys for cupcakes, but if you’re tired of the usual there’s a whole realm of unique cupcake recipes to explore.
Cupcakes have come a long way since the days of standard cake batter and white frosting on top. Cupcakes today are miniature edible art, and the unique cupcake recipes today incorporate cloves, tea, and eggnog just to name a few. If you’re searching for new cupcake inspiration here are some recipes to get you started:
You can’t bake an exotic cupcake and simply spread frosting on top. Cupcake design ideas are just as plentiful as unique cupcake recipes. Using frosting as the primary decoration is fine as long as you spruce it up. When making designs with icing it’s best to use a pastry bag and follow three simple tips for success:
- Position the bag correctly: Most designs require the bag to be at a 45 degree angle from the surface of the cupcake.
- Use proper pressure: Every design is different so check ahead of time. Always release all pressure before lifting the bag to avoid trails of icing.
- Consistency is key: Consistency of the frosting, that is. Most designs and general icing jobs will use a medium consistency icing.
Great cupcake design ideas can come from knowing how to make the basic designs used for decorating. In fact, the same decorating tip is used to make many of the following designs.
Other cupcake design ideas include making a cupcakebouquet, using candied fruit slices instead of icing, or making patterns with colored candies. If more exotic cupcake design ideas are what you’re looking for these next few ideas will really help you get in touch with your creative side.
- Fluffed Up: What appears to be fancy meringue is actually a spoonful of marshmallow fluff on top that is then stuck under the broiler for a few seconds.
- PuddleDots: These piped discs of royal icing must be made 48 hours in advance, but add a very pretty touch to the cupcake.
- Slushie Cupcakes: Perfect for the decorator in a dash. All these require is a dollop of colored frosting, a sprinkle of colored sugar, and a Twizzler for the straw, and you’re ready to go.
If you find yourself lacking exotic ingredients and the time to turn cupcakes into small works of art adding flavor is a quick and easy way to give your cupcakes that little something extra. There are several cupcake flavor ideas and a variety of techniques for using them. You also have the option of using one of the cupcake flavor ideas for the batter, the frosting, or both.
Extracts and flavor oils are an easy way to spruce up your cupcakes, and come in a large variety of flavors. Finding new cupcake flavor ideas isn’t hard at all when you can choose from root beer, cotton candy, champagne, and over 100 other flavors. It is important to understand that oils are concentrated and produce a much more intense flavor so use them sparingly.
Regardless which of the unique cupcake recipes you decide to use your dessert is sure to be a hit. Making use of a few simple techniques and tricks will make it look as though you spent hours on cupcakes that most likely didn’t take long at all.